Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Group or Team?

Recently, I worked with a new nonprofit Board of Directors. Within the first two hours the members had referred to themselves as "this group." I brought this to their attention. None had been aware they had not called themselves "board" or "team." I explained that their choice of words was telling of the nature they regarded their interactions--as a group of people without shared goals. A group is not necessarily a team, yet a team is a group of individuals with shared or compatible commitments. One of my outcomes for them at the end of the weekend retreat was that they felt like a team and functioned like a board. Their strategic thinking and planning tested their commitment to the organization and their accountability to one another. They skillfully negotiated core values selection and began the goal-setting process. I am excited to watch them grow into their mission and vision!

No comments: