Thursday, January 10, 2013

Service Awards

Today I received a service award for 25 years at a prestegious community college. I received a round, logo-emblazoned lapel pin with a tiny sparkle in the center (diamond? crystal? glass?). The college recently created a new logo that was introduced into its branding last semester. The logo on the pin is the old design. (Just an interesting observation--perhaps there was no value judgment intended, just prudent use of stored materials.) My name was printed in a program and listed on a screen as I walked with others to the front of the stage to shake the President's hand and those of a series of deans and directors. Actually, it was the first time I had seen the president in person, and he announced his departure from the college minutes later. (Again, I am sure, no connection intended.) There was no mention of the thousands of students I have taught and served and mentored, no mention of the quality of the post-secondary education and corporate training I have designed and delivered, and no mention of the value I have given the college in the advocacy and referrals I have made over the years. Just my name, a row of handshakes, and a pin. Thank heavens I have my students to affirm me! Interesting, too, that the lead speaker said, as educators, we must personalize our contacts with students, uncover their specific strengths, and encourage them to view a hopeful future for themselves. To do so will increase their productivity and success, the expert explained. Well, I am a professional educator who does personalize my teaching to accommodate learning styles, thinking preferences, multiple intelligences, personality indicators, individual skills levels, personal interests.... I guess the message is this: Use my teaching strengths to encourage myself to continue being creative, productive, and valuable! How might my experience reflect on you? Do you neglect to be specific when you recognize your coworkers, your employees, your customers, your students, your children? Tell them what they did that you noticed and admired. If they did a good job, tell them what made it good. If they exhibited calm behavior in a chaotic customer encounter, tell them why you appreciated their demeanor. If they are discouraged or distressed, affirm them and help them remove obstacles. Be specific when you do! Personalize the recognition: it is the best way to ensure continued productivity--even from dedicated professionals like me.

No comments: