Saturday, January 5, 2013

Biases: Love and Hate

When I married my second husband, I wanted to play a song by Dolly Parton for my children as part of the ceremony, to include and embrace them in an extended family experience. The Music Director at the church refused to play the song. That song was released in a musical production that starred Dolly and Burt Reynolds, entitled The Best Little Whore House in Texas. After Whitney Houston recorded the song for The Body Guard with Kevin Costner, the song became a great hit. It is the same song, same lyrics, same notes, same beautiful message to a loved one: "I Will Always Love You." How ironic that if I asked for that song today, that same Music Director would play it without reservation. Words can magnify our biases! So, I was pleased to hear my grown daughter tell her little daughter, "In this house, we do not say 'hate.' Think of another word to use to express your displeasure." I would like all homes, schools, and businesses to become hate-free word zones. It could be the beginning of hate-free life zones.

No comments: